Friday, April 25, 2014

Blog 19: Independent Component 2


Content

Literal
(a.) " I, Marilyn Sambo, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work

(b) Marina Wood, House of Ruth event coordinator, bachelor's degree in women studies, masters in cultural studies and 5 yeahs experience with non profit organizations
 
"It's My Life Now: Starting Over After an Abusive Relationship Or Domestic Violence" by Meg Kennedy Dugan, and Roger R. Hock

"Is It My Fault?: Hope and Healing or Those Suffering Domestic Violence" by Justin S. Holcomb and Lindsey A. Holcomb

(c) Digital spreadsheet

(d) For my independent component 2 and wanted to complete more hours at House of Ruth with my mentor Marina Wood. I did the everything basic work that I usually do when I volunteer there like make copies of packets about domestic violence,  healthy relationships, make and fold flyer, etc... I didn't do any major projects at House of Ruth because in the beginning of each year she Marina is always busy with training new volunteers and going to different events all over Inland valley, Los Angeles and San Berdarino. But i did receive an award for my time volunteering there. I also worked with Project Sister Services which does along with my topic because that organization focuses on victims of all gender and ages who had been sexually assaulted or abused. Which falls in line with Domestic violence its just that House of Ruth has been working with sexual, emotionally, verbally and  abused victims. I was part of their Denim Day committee  2014 where me and a group of teen work together to help plan an event on 4/24/2014. Where any person can go can receive information on different organization and also have fun with the different activities we can up with.

Applied
 This component help me come up with my best answer which was create a curriculum for students in 7-12 grades. Working with different teens and also talking to some made me realize that a lot of them don't really know about domestic violence and how can you tell if they are in a abusive situation. Also working with my mentors in general helped me come up with my answers and make them better. For example my first answer was help victim with safe escape during the legal process and my mentor gave me a a lot of techniques that they used on the victims at house of Ruth to help them have a safe escape. Also Marina gave me a safety plan template than they help the victim  create. My experience at Project sister help me with answering my EQ by helping me realize that getting the word out in the community is the best way for victims to step forward and receive the help they need for safe escape. The whole denim day event is too inform the community that their is help out their for victims of domestic violence.



No comments:

Post a Comment